I needed a laptop bag for my school laptop, so decided to make one. My DIY (Do It Yourself) laptop bagg was inspired by TOTORO's cuteness!
Read MORE to see how I made this. If you don't know much about Totoro, here is a quick, short, and Wikipedia's explanation.
My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ Tonari no Totoro), is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio. The film follows the two young daughters of a professor and their interactions with friendly wood spirits in postwar rural Japan. The film won the Animage Anime Grand Prix prize and the Mainichi Film Award for Best Film in 1988.
The film was released on VHS and laserdisc in the United States by Tokuma Japan Communications' US subsidiary in 1993 with the title My Friend Totoro.
- Laptop or Ipad
- Felt Fabric (Colors: White, Gray, and Black)
- Needles and Threads (Colors: White, Black, Brown)
- Hot Glue Gun + Hot Glue Sticks
- Zippers (Color: Gray)
- Cotton Batting
- Sewing machine (optional)
Things You Need To PLAN Ahead:
- Know Totoro's body
- Cut out these in advance
- 6 1/2 Moon Shape : Triangular Thing
- 4 Gray Rectangular : The Ears
- 2 White Circles :: The Eyes
- 2 Black Circles :: The Irises
- 1 Black Oval :: The Nose
- 1 White Semi-circle: The Pouch
Steps to MAKE THE LAPTOP/IPAD Totoro bag:
1. Wrap the gray felt fabric around your laptop or ipad, measure, and cut the fabric to fit your devices. Like the iPad, my laptop is only 10 inches wide. So i can use this for my ipad too.
2. Choose which side is "inside" and "outside."
3. Sew the fabric together on the "inside" side. Leave the top part un-sew for the zipper later.
4. When the bag has your laptop shape, using the white felt fabric, cut a semi-circle shape for Totoro's pouch.
5. Sew the white pouch to the grey fabric (let's call this the body.)
6. Cut out 6 1/2-moon-shape from the gray felt fabric. Double the 1/2-moon-shape pieces together and sew these to the white pouch part. (like the picture below)
7. Using the white felt fabric, cut 2 circles for the eyes
8. Use the hot glue gun, glue the 2 white circles to the body
9. Using the black felt fabric, cut 2 smaller circles and 1 oval shape
10. Glue the smaller black circles to the white part and the oval between the eyes.
11. Using the gray felt fabric, cut out 4 pieces for the ears. Sew 2 felt fabric together to make one ear.
12. Stuff some cotton batting inside the ears to make them real and puffy.
13. For the unsew or opening part of the body, sew the zippers inside-out.
I got lots of compliments for this Totoro laptop bag /ipad case! Enjoy :]